Inspired by...

I love participating in the Counterfeit Kit Challenge and putting together my own kits but  sometimes I just want to take a break from my kit and use other things. I get inspired by specific products, photos, other scrapbookers' layouts, quotes, memories, a conversation...all sorts of things can spark an idea for me.

This layout was inspired by a product: a pre-made packaged garland from the My Mind's Eye/Indie Chic collection. The package is a couple years old and it's been hanging around in my supplies for long enough -  I still like it so it's time to use it up!

I flipped through some photos and selected an instagram taken on one of my early morning walks because I thought the photo matched well with the colors of the garland.  I then pulled out an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of light gray cardstock, jotted down a potential title and some journaling notes on a piece of scrap paper.
 


Looking at the product, my initial inclination was to drape the garland across the layout but it just didn't look right to me - it didn't fit with the mood of the photo. So I played around with the garland and finally settled on the idea of using it to frame my photo. Once I got them both adhered to the page, I decided that my title would go to the right of the photo and my journaling would go around the edge of the page. I trimmed the edges of the cardstock and mounted the layout on a floral patterned paper from an older Maggie Holmes collection that contained the same colors as the garland.


I used my notes to record the journaling around the page, crossing off phrases as I transferred them to the layout.


Finally, I picked out a couple of alpha sticker sheets and decided on the larger font from Webster's Pages to use for my title.


I ended up slipping a piece of vellum under my photo to help fill in the space between it and the garland frame. Here's the finished layout:


Are there any products that have inspired you lately?

2 comments :

  1. This is such a clever alternative way to use that garland. I seem to buy them all the time and then stall on using them. I must try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did the same thing Susanne - I bought several of them and then didn't use them. I still really like them but when I try to string them across a page like a real garland, I can't get them to look natural. I also used them as a border around the edge of the page and liked the way they looked then too.

      Delete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs