Counterfeit Kit Challenge July Members' Blog Hop


Hello and welcome to my stop on the Counterfeit Kit Challenge July Members' Blog Hop! You should have arrived here via Julene’s blog.
 
The July Challenges were:
Challenge #1: Picture This - use at least 4 photos on your project
Challenge #2: Old Tools - Dust off an old tool and get creative
Challenge #3: Project Altering Experience - include an altered embellishment
 

When I put together my kit for this month, this burlap and cream stripe paper from Crate Paper really reminded me of a bulletin board. Then I promptly forgot about that thought as I started using the kit to make scrapbook pages.
 
 
After I made a few layouts, I was flipping though the kit papers again and rediscovered that sheet. An idea started to form in my head - using brads and twine, I wanted to turn that paper into a French bulletin board like this:
Photo from Target
As a teen, I had a bulletin board with all sorts of things pinned to it - cards, ticket stubs, photos, pieces of memorabilia, postcards, etc. - and I wanted this paper bulletin board to hold some favorite memories of this summer (so far).
 
I grabbed my paper, a ruler, crochet thread, a pencil and the brads from my kit.
 
I started by turning the paper over, measuring and then drawing the intersecting lines. I then took a paper piercer and poked a hole through each intersection, still working on the back side of the paper. (The back side of the paper already featured a lined grid design; my lines are the ones on the diagonal.)
 
The front of the paper looked like this:
 
Time for the brads. I didn’t have enough of the same size in my kit so I just added what I needed from my supplies.
 
Then I inserted the brads, cut lengths of the crochet thread and started assembling.
 
I used washi tape to hold each edge in place on the back of the paper. When I finished making all my lines, I covered the prongs of each brad with washi tape as well to make it easier to put the page in an album. Here’s what the back of the page looked like when I was done:
 
And now came the fun! I printed some photos, cut some tags from another one of the Crate Paper sheets in my kit, and grabbed some stickers and chipboard from the kit. I just played, adding pictures to tags, tucking things in here and there and adding embellishments. Here’s how it came out:
 
This is exactly what I had imagined - a mix of photos and ephemera from our summer so far: food and flowers…
 
…James Taylor’s latest CD and a photo from when we saw him in concert a couple weekends ago (he has long been my favorite!)…
…a photo of the four of us off on a day trip, my messy scrapping area and more outdoor photos…
I’m very pleased with how this turned out - it definitely makes me happy!

Thanks so much for stopping by! You can now visit Laura and see her fun contribution to the hop. If you’d like to start at the beginning, you can visit the CKC blog. Here’s a full list of the participants in case you lose your place along the way:

Happy Hopping!!

11 comments :

  1. Terrific! Love your included tags and the small framed photographs. You pulled together the look perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab project. I actually have that exact board you pictured from Target. Maybe I'd better fill it up too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I love this! You have definitely replicated that bulletin board visual. I also think you have captured the vibe of summer - lots of ordinary days with some special moments thrown in (JT??? how lucky are you?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! that is one cool layout it looks just like a bulletin board too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to pin this immediately! What an amazing page and so perfect for capturing the fun, chaotic days of summer!! wonderful. a fave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! This is impressive! What a fabulous idea, and so intricate! Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see why this layout makes you happy - it is truly phenomenal! Love the idea behind the bulletin board with all the summer memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely fantastic and fun! It would look fabulous on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A clever idea and it looks really good.I might have to "borrow" that one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absoloutley love this page. it's so original and such a fantastic idea. would you mind if I borrowed the idea? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! Please link to your page - I would love to see what you make!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs