Two Layouts and A Forgery

I'm back to working with my July CKC kit and definitely enjoying making summer themed pages with it.

My first layout features some hydrangeas that are blooming gloriously in our yard right now:

 
The journaling is hidden not because it's a deep, dark secret but because I had trouble finding the right place for it on the layout. Everywhere I tried to put it just looked wrong, so I wrote on two tags and slipped them into the woodgrain bag to the right of the photo. I wrote about how hydrangeas are my summer flower because they remind me of vacations at the beach and how happy I am to have them now growing in our (non-shoreline) yard.
 
 
The eyelets on the tags were a dark red which didn't match anything else on my layout. I found two tiny dark brown brads and inserted them through the eyelets to cover up the red.
 

I added a couple of word phrases to the outside of the bag. The tags are several years old and came from an Etsy shop that is no longer in business, but I think they would be very easy to make with your own supplies.
 
 
I was inspired by the woodgrain tutorial Lynnette included in her CKC Forgeries on the Fourth post. I don't have a woodgrain stamp but I do have textured white woodgrain paper in the 6x6 pad I included in my kit and thought I could make a forgery with a stamp pad. 
 
 
I used a dry baby wipe (an unseen benefit to keeping a trial pack that didn't seal properly) and gently rubbed some of the color over the textured cardstock. I used two stamp pads: a Memento ink in London Fog and a Stampin' Up ink in Basic Gray.
 
 
I ended up with two slightly different shades of a pretty gray woodgrain - this was such an easy and no-fuss forgery!
 
The pattern and colors reminded me of the weathered gray clapboard beach houses we see here in New England and that image lead me to the photo and topic for another layout.
 
 
I cut my forged squares into 3x3 squares and added two both above and below my photo.
 
 
I'm a big fan of using grids on my pages because it gives such a clean look and I really enjoy decorating each grid piece - it's like making a mini-layout on each square. In this case, I added some stickers and chipboard from my kit to each of my forged squares. I also included some shaped clips from my supplies - three stars and a geotag, all in muted colors that match the tones of the other items on the page.
 
 
The vellum pieces above and below my journaling keep the dreamy mood of the layout.
 
Between the hydrangeas and the gray woodgrain, I am definitely ready for a trip to the beach this summer!

 

3 comments :

  1. APPLAUSE!!!
    First off, I had to lol about the hidden journaling.
    This happens to me a lot. How did you preview it?
    The yellow striped paper is the surprise in page one - so effective at conveying a summer vibe to the cool tones of your photo & the overall neutrals.
    Page two: swoon
    I simply love everything about it! Quintessential Susan. Lovely details, fab forgery - you've captured a breezy quality that transports me to the seashore!
    Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful layout to go with the beautiful flowers. I just love to see summer flowers on layouts. Super cute way to hind the journaling also :) Cool work with the forgery :) I just love the grid style to the layout Very pretty layout too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are beautiful layouts. Great tip on covering the red with a brad. I love the forgery on page two.
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs