Challenge Layouts - CKC August Kit

I took advantage of some extra scrapping time while my computer had a lengthy stay at tech support. Today I'm sharing three layouts, each of which was based on one of the challenges on the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog this month.

Challenge 1 was to use white as the background for a project. I've been using lots of white cardstock lately so this challenge was very appealing to me. My topic was inspired by this layout that Jill Sprott shared on her blog earlier this summer.

I essentially divided the page in half, with the title and photo on the left and the journaling on the right. I used some distressed circle rub-ons in a vertical line on the right and more rub-ons above and beneath my photo. That particular package of rub-ons did not age well but I was able to salvage most of the words I wanted to use and since the product was over five years old, I really can't complain that they didn't work perfectly!

Two little puffy stickers and some washi strips added the finishing touches to the layout. And I did mat the entire page on a sheet of light blue patterned paper and while technically the base of the page is no longer on white cardstock, the page was built entirely on white cardstock first. I just added the blue paper to frame the finished layout so I'm going to say it's all ok and that I did follow the spirit of the challenge (wink, wink).

The second challenge was to be inspired by gift wrap. I scrounged around the house and found this paper:

I saw it and thought "grid" - one of my favorite layout designs. I grabbed four different paper scraps from my kit and cut them into four equal squares. Following the design of the gift wrap, I wanted to embellish each square and decided that I wanted to do it in a tone-on-tone manner. Since I didn't have enough options in my kit, I pulled out my color boxes. (I've been sorting my leftover kit embellishments by color and storing them into 4x6 plastic boxes.)
When I started this layout, I really wasn't sure where I was going with it as far as the subject went. I thought it would be travel related because of the kit's theme and when I found a cute little chipboard house in my red embellishment box, I'd found the inspiration for my journaling.

The squares each have journey or travel motifs, while the title and journaling match the chipboard and talk about coming home.


The final challenge was to be inspired by the word "friend". I made this layout about my long-term and long distance best friend from high school:
I took a photo of a photo of the two of us in our high school yearbook and paired it with a photo of some of the cards and letters we regularly exchange.

A little envelope rub-on, compass, and "hello" die cut all reinforce the topic of our long distance friendship.

I really enjoyed taking on these challenges this month. If you're looking for a way to stretch your creativity this month, take a look at the CKC blog and give one of them a try!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs