Inspired by...

I've mentioned before that I enjoy watching scrapbook process videos on Youtube. I get a lot of inspiration from the wonderful scrapbookers who explain their design decisions and give a personal look at how they put together a particular layout.

Today I would like to share how I was inspired by one of my favorite Youtubers (is that a word?), Elisabetta. She is a young and very talented scrapbooker from Italy and you can find her blog here and her Youtube channel here. This layout in particular caught my eye:


See this layout on Elisabetta's blog and Youtube channel


I like how she wrote her journaling all around the photo, using the words as a photo mat. I also love the beautiful horizontal line of embellishments beneath the photo, including the vellum shapes. I've been itching to make a mostly monochromatic layout and thought that technique would be a good fit for this page.

I knew that I wanted to showcase a photo of my favorite spring flower on my layout. I've already made several pages about my love of lilacs and I probably couldn't fill the whole journal/mat behind my photo with my own words so I thought I would use a poem or quote instead. I searched "spring flower quotes" on Pinterest and found something I liked. The quote was short - just one sentence - so I decided to just repeat it over and over until I filled a space begin enough for the mat. I used my computer to type the phrase into a text box sized to the dimensions of my mat and then added a text box that was the same size as my photo over it to help me place the picture in the right spot.



I pulled a few shape punches: two different size circles, a butterfly and hearts. I also gathered some papers - since I was going with a monochromatic look, I wanted papers that had some design or texture to them to make the layout more interesting. I chose a plain vellum, a dotted vellum, a floral vellum and a white woodgrain cardstock. I'd found a lilac vellum and pulled that too but ultimately decided not to use it.


 I got to work with the punches and then started arranging the shapes beneath the photo.

I adhered the shapes and then it was time to work on the title. I started by trying a variety of white thickers but wasn't really happy with how they looked. Looking again at my photo, I decided to try some pale green thickers and they gave me the look I wanted.


I used a clear ruler to help me place the title. Normally I don't go to that much trouble but since there's so little on this layout, the title will almost be another focal point and I wanted it to be centered. I also matted the entire layout on a piece of green cardstock to pull out the green from the photo and the title letters.

At this point, I wanted to add just a sentence or two to the layout so I wrote on a piece of scrap white cardstock, cut out the strips and tried them out on the page.



I liked the result so I re-wrote the journaling and added it to the layout. Here is my finished page:


I'm really pleased with how this turned out and would like to thank Elisabetta for her inspiration. Please check out her blog and Youtube channel  - I know you'll be inspired too!

3 comments :

  1. I love your layout!! Very soft and romantic! :)
    Elisabetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful version of Elisabetta's layout. So soft and romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! With all the bold, graphic products out there lately, this is such a visual refreshment. Totally get that misty morning garden sensibility & what a clever title alluding to the fragrance of the flowers. Off to get to know Elisabetta!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs