My "Cotton Candy" Kit (Part 1)

You can probably tell by reading here that I’m a big fan of the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog. They are having a design team call (you can read the details here) and I would like to apply for a spot.

The kit I have to show you today was based on the answers I gave to the questions on their design team call post. Here was my assignment:

Paper Choice: Crate Paper Confetti Collection
Tools: Stamps
Embellishments: Washi tape
Materials: Vellum
Tiny bits: Brads
More Embellishments: Wood embellishments
Fun extra: Sewing

I was thrilled about the paper choice because Crate Paper has become my favorite manufacturer lately. I already had several pieces of the Confetti collection but using them for my kit would be too easy now wouldn’t it? The stamps would be a bit more challenging but the only way to get more comfortable with them is to practice right?

I started as I usually do - I looked through the paper in the collection and jotted down a few notes to guide me in picking my own selections. I don’t look at the collection again; I just rely on my notes and try to pick pieces that coordinate well with each other and give me the “feel” of the collection. Here’s what I wrote:

 
And here is my kit, “Cotton Candy”:

I ended up focusing more on the pastel pinks and blues of the collection, along with touches of black & white (or cream) and gold with a bit of woodgrain thrown in for good measure.

Let’s talk about the papers first.
The first paper I selected was the floral (top row, fourth from left) which is from the Dear Lizzy Daydreamer Collection. It had many of the colors from the inspiration collection and so I built the rest of the kit around it. For pinks, I added the pink with gold polka dots (My Mind’s Eye On Trend Collection), the ombre striped (Amy Tangerine Stitched Collection), and a small pink floral (Pebbles Front Porch Collection). The blues were next: the polka dot (Pebbles Front Porch Collection) and the chevron (unknown). I added a green print (Maggie Holmes Flea Market Collection). From that same collection pack, I also selected a ledger, the words/phrases paper and the cut apart sheet. The yellow paper with polka dots is from the Dear Lizzy Polka Dot Party Collection. To round out the kit, I added a black and white-ish diagonal stripe, a woodgrain (DCWV Gilded Paper Pack), a gold glitter (American Crafts), sheet music (Recollections from Michael’s), a bull’s eye paper (Studio Calico) and a sheet of cream cardstock. And finally, I have been adding what I call my “on-a-whim” paper to my kits lately. Those papers are ones that might not necessarily fit the kit but are ones that I’m just drawn to for some reason. I’ve found that I have used every single one of these papers that I’ve included in a kit. My on-a-whim paper for my Cotton Candy kit is the sheet of text hearts from Fancy Pants. Now let’s look at the embellishments:


I pulled a couple of paper punches, a sheet of wood veneer shapes from Pinkfresh Studio, two packs of brads from MME and a bowl of washi….yes, a bowl of washi. Remember, they were an assigned embellishment and I already had an idea to put them all to use.

Moving on, I added a partially used sheet of word and phrase stickers, labels from MME, tidbits from October Afternoon, puffy stickers from Evalicious, some kraft and white mini bags, Prima flowers and some chalkboard labels from Martha Stewart.
Here are my choices for alphas, along with a couple of clear stamps and roller stamps (again, for my assignment).
And finally, some specialty papers. The floral and blue vellum are from JoAnn’s and the gold star vellum is from Studio Calico. There was a sheet of gold star vellum in the Confetti collection so I was happy to discover I had this one. And the last item is a Dear Lizzy heart wood veneer paper, with which I have since developed a love/hate relationship. I’ll be filling you in on the details in my next post.

The next part of my assignment was to forge some items to include in my kit. I think I got lucky with my inspiration kit because I found quite a few items to forge. In fact, I made five of them. I think it’s quite addicting…I’ll just be sharing my favorite one here but will include the rest in my next post.


My favorite forgery is based on this paper:
Cloud Nine Paper (the "b" side)

Since the paper just has the same shape all over it, I thought it would be a good way to practice my stamping skills. I picked the large flower from the Technique Tuesday stamp set in my kit (it’s from 2011 and unused, which shows you that while I intend to stamp, I never actually do it!).

Armed with my mini Hero Arts black ink pad and the cream cardstock from the kit, I started stamping.
And stamped some more, grateful that I’d at least picked one of the larger stamps in my kit.

And finally, I had done it:

I'm very happy with how it looks and decided to make a layout with it right away. I knew what photo I'd be using and decided to add a little watercolor to the paper as a mat under the photo.
I have this very inexpensive set of paints from Michael's and just lightly brushed on the color, not really trying to stay in the lines or keep the shading the same for each flower.
The paper did warp a little from the water, so after it dried, I mounted it on the green floral paper from my kit and weighed it down with a heavy book overnight. Here's the layout:
Just a little pink in the title and flowers to keep the focus on the photo. I slipped washi tape under the journaling strips to help them stand out a little more from the background.
 

My final part of the assignment was to come up with a challenge, just like the CKC design team does several times each month to help participants use up their monthly kits.

I like using sketches to jump-start my creativity. While there are plenty of wonderful sketches available online, I put a little twist on it and took my design inspiration from another source - a magazine. So my challenge to you is to use print media - a newspaper, magazine or even junk mail - to inspire a layout.

I worked with this table of contents page from a recent issue of All You magazine:
While I was thinking about how to use it, I sketched some ideas. I translated the pieces of the magazine into basic shapes and thought about the supplies I had in my kit that would work for the various shapes.
Once I picked out my photos and decided on the story for the page, I assembled the layout, working off my sketch. I decided to put a couple of strips of paper on the left side (the Dear Lizzy floral and the floral vellum) and used just a bit of adhesive to hold them on to the ombre background paper. I then sewed a border around the entire page and then a couple of zigzag stitches on the strips for a little interest, remembering that my "fun extra" item was sewing.
I placed my photos in the center and added some washi and two brads to fill out the rest of the middle column.
At this point I started realizing that I had the entire right column to fill up with journaling. Normally this isn’t a big deal to me; I love the journaling aspect of memory-keeping, but I wasn’t sure I had that much to say about the two photos. Then I remembered the phrase stickers in my kit - maybe they could help me tell the story. When I looked through them though, they didn’t really have much that I wanted to use. But I also had the word and phrase 12x12 paper and pulled it out to take a look. Perfect - there were plenty of words that I could cut out and use.
I wrote a draft of my journaling on scrap paper first to make sure it would fit. (When I’m not sure that my journaling will fit in the amount of space I have, I’ll trace the shape on scrap paper and write my journaling on that first.) After I added my journaling, I placed my title and one last little embellishment and my page was finished:
 
 


So there’s my assignment but I’m not at all done with my kit. I have a couple more forgeries and layouts to share with you in my next post, along with saga of me and the wood veneer paper. Don’t worry though, it has a very happy ending! Thanks for stopping by today for this very long post and don’t forget to check out all the great inspiration on the CKC blog!

14 comments :

  1. Amazing! I love your stamped paper and your layout composition based on the magazine.Your Counterfeit kit looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your layout. Your kit looks wonderful. You have a lot more patience than I do. I am way to lazy to go to all the trouble to do all you did. I enjoyed reading about it though. And the end result was wonderful. I like the journaling idea and the way it turned out. I will have to use that idea. Great job. I can't wait to see what else you do with this kit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty! Love the layouts and your kit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute kit :) Love the challenge idea too :) Good luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amzing patterned paper you have created - glorious! I also love how you incorporated the word strips into your journalling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan! Such a lovely kit. Great job explaining your process and the forgery is great! Good luck :-) !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. What a wonderful entry for the Master Forgers. I would be so happy if this kit landed on my doormat (or even on my foot!) Dear Lizzy is one of my favourite lines (and is the perfect counterfeit for Crate Paper!)

    I also adore the forged background paper and your idea for a challenge - and want to steal them both. < Along with the kit to complete them with, of course!

    Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your forged paper is stunning! Love your kit, just gorgeous! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love your kit!! Love the papers you pulled and all the beautiful embellishments!! That forged paper is just amazing and I love the layout that you made with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW where do I start, your kit is just so cute and that stamped background is genius. Thanks for sharing your creativity and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely kit you put together. And your forged paper - simple fantabulous!!! I can't believe you stamped the whole page and then COLORED it.. Amazing..Love the challenge you issued too. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful kit and great ideas! I love your entirely stamped background paper, all the embellishments you picked and the make your own sketch from print media challenge. Good luck with the DT call!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, g-mail seems to have eaten your e-mail. :) Could you contact me at counterfeitkitchallenge@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How on earth did I miss seeing this last year??? It is really an awesome take on the inspiration. I am loving both yours & Lesley's "wordy" pages! Am definitely inspired to do the same. I also love it when you show your handwritten list & sketch that you developed from the magazine page. Like sitting on your shoulder while you create! xo

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs