More Kaleidoscope Layouts

I've been very busy working with my Kaleidoscope kit and the vibrant colors are definitely inspiring me to scrapbook. 

This first layout features a photo that my daughters took when they visited California this summer. They were there shortly before the very campy "Sharknado 3" was to be released and when they saw this shark at the Natural History Museum, they really hammed it up for the camera.
I used both sides of the watercolor orange paper in my kit. I don't know about you but I usually forget to check the "B side" of my papers when I'm starting a layout. The multi-colored pattern on the back of the orange paper added a little fun to the page. The blue strip in the middle is the branding strip from the paper. In an effort to start using the stamps I've collected over the years, I included a few in my kit and put the arrows and the "stay awesome" phrase to use here on this page. I stamped the phrase once in the center to serve as the title and then stamped it four more times without re-inking it.
I placed a few fun puffy stickers as embellishments and added the journaling to complete the page.

Next up is a layout about my daughter's job at an ice cream/chocolate shop and the page design was determined by the design of the patterned paper itself.
The title is a bit of an inside joke - apparently some ice cream shops (not the one she works at) refer to their employees as "scoopologists". I added the title in the white space on the left and my journaling in the white space on the right. 

I placed the sole embellishment to cover a red 2013 date in the lower right corner. And yes, I'm that mother, the one who sneaks a photo of her daughter at work. The things we do for a scrapbook page right?

A two-page layout is next. I wasn't quite sure how to use this Pinkfresh studio paper:
via Scrapbook.com
I knew I wanted to use the front side but something about the imperfect squares and circles was throwing me off. So I just cut it up and used a few of the pieces to fill in the empty spots on my layout:

I hand-cut the title from the vellum in my kit and stitched a horizontal line through the letters to hold them in place. 
I added a stamped border to the top and bottom.
A few more stamped hearts near the title and some acrylic embellishments were all I needed to finish the layout.
 
I also struggle with using photo-realistic papers and I'm not sure what I was thinking when I put not one but two of them in my kit! I had already used one of the 4x6 cut-aparts as a photo mat on an earlier page and then decided to trim the remaining piece into an 8x10" (-ish) piece and use it as the base for a layout. 
I turned the paper horizontally because otherwise those hearts would be sideways. I have some page protectors in this orientation so it won't be a problem to add this to an album. I printed a quote from Pinterest and cut it into strips before adding it to the page, mounted the layout on to another piece of paper and then wrote my journaling around the border.
I have a few more completed layouts to share - I'll be back soon with the photos and details.

6 comments :

  1. These are all such lovely layouts, but that Staycation one really caught my eye. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely pages Susan! Love them all. You are so very creative and talented; I also enjoy seeing your pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely layouts. That is a great stamp to use on the first layout but I love the the ice cream cone on the second one. I'm also one of those moms to steal a picture when they are not looking. I agree that your title drew my eye to the third layout and love how you used a quote on the page.
    Cindy F

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely group of layouts. And you know that I'm loving those large titles!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. One at a time :)
    Sharknado - hilarious photo! You totally did it justice with that accidental B side pp. The stamping looks really great, too, and is the perfect sentiment.
    Scoopologist - I was one in high school! Your go-to grid & the bold paper work so well to make a simple page quite graphic. And as one mammarazzi to another - you go, girl!
    Staycation Summer almost became the inspiration for a project I have in December (ahem). I am always floored by how creative you are with those cut-apart papers! I can never see outside of the box but you always do. The hearts stamped on the sewn vellum title are a great whimsical element.
    Seashells - FAB use of that paper! I have collected some but never used it.


    ReplyDelete
  6. All wonderful layouts and each one so different from the next. I particularly love the hand cut vellum title and the idea of stitching through them is perfection. And one would never know you had problems with the photo realistic papers - you use them with flair and style as always!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs