One Sketch Two Ways


I like working with sketches. They are very versatile and can be a great way to jump-start creativity. When you work with a sketch, you can copy it exactly or use one or more pieces of it to generate your own take. You can use the same number and size photos, and set the journaling, title, embellishments and photos in the places shown on the sketch. Or, you can flip or turn the sketch, add or subtract photos and change the placement of the items on your layout.

I've been trying to participate in the challenges on the Whimsical Musings blog,  and one of the recent challenges (#184) was to make a layout using this sketch (originally shown on the Creative Scrappers blog):
My favorite part of the sketch is the bottom. Those little strips could be patterned paper or cardstock, branding strips, washi tape, ribbon, tickets, labels - basically anything narrow. I  used the sketch to make two layouts.

Here is my first page:
 What I kept from the sketch:
One square photo
The photo placement
Use of journaling strips
The collage of strips on the bottom third of the page

What I changed:
The page size
Replaced some of the paper strips with stamps
Used one strip or set of stamps per row instead of combining them
Didn't add the title (the writing on the cake serves as my title)
Didn't mat the entire layout
Added a doily and sequins
Only used one small strip along the top

Here is the second layout:
 What I kept from the sketch:
The page size
One square photo
Matted the layout

What I changed:
Rotated the sketch
Moved the title to the bottom
Turned the journaling strips to intersect with the patterned paper strips
Used one strip of patterned paper per vertical row
Added a little stamping near the title and at the top, along with a pair of Thickers brackets

I started with the same sketch but ended up with two different-looking pages.

Do you like working with sketches? Do you have a favorite sketch source?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs