Counterfeit Kit Challenge October Reveal Blog Hop

Hello and welcome to my stop on this month's Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog hop! You should have arrived here from Margie's blog. I am especially excited this month because it's my first month as one of the Master Forgers and I am very happy to be joining the team!

This month's inspiration comes from the CSI Casefile 365-9:
CSI Casefile 365-9


Instead of an actual kit, we were to use the color scheme, evidence and testimony to inspire our kit selections. Hmmmm...this could be a challenge.

As usual, I spent a little time looking at the inspiration and then wrote my shopping list:
And now I have a confession to make...it took me two tries to come up with the papers for this kit. I found a piece right away that fit into the color scheme, but as I kept matching other papers to it, I felt less and less enthused about the look I was getting. Here's what I had before I stopped:
The first paper on the left had the gray, sage, yellow and reddish orange from my list. I initially liked it but when I added the other papers, it just didn't seem like "me". I couldn't see myself using it. So after a few minutes of indecision, I decided to abandon what I had and start over. I'm glad I did, because I really like my second try which I'm calling "October Sky":

Definitely a huge improvement! Although sage green was on my shopping list, I didn't really have many options in that color. I ended up substituting blue instead and the resulting look gave me the warm and cozy feeling that the inspiration brought to my mind. October is my favorite month - the crisp air, clear and vibrant blue skies, pumpkins, sweaters and bright  leaves - I just love it all and I think my kit evokes the images and feelings of the autumn season.

I took a divide and conquer approach to my kit assembly - I used the scene and the colors to select my papers and the evidence and testimony to choose my embellishments. Let's start with the papers:
I built the kit using the first paper on the left in the top row. It's from an old DCWV paper stack called "Hittin' the Books." The plaid just reminded me of a blanket you could tuck around yourself while watching a football game or going on a hayride. It had the gray, yellow and pumpkin colors from my list, along with a pretty blue instead of the sage green. Continuing in the top row from right to left, I included a blue textured paper from Chatterbox "Artsy-licious" called Peacock, a polka dot in pumpkin from Crate Paper "Storyteller - Journey", a floral from Cosmo Cricket "Everafter -Something New", a gray from Studio Calico "Classic Calico - Star", a yellow floral from Adornit "Rae Collection - Prairie", a gray ledger from Lily Bee "Stationery - Mushroom", another yellow print from Daisy D's "Atelier Toile"  and a tree print from Dream street Papers "Sam - Seasons of Change". This last paper was my "on-a-whim" choice, a paper that might not exactly fit the feel of my kit but one that I'm inspired to include anyway.

Moving to the bottom row, from left to right: a solid teal from Echo Park "For the Record - Teal", a gray polka dot that is the B side from the gray ledger in the top row, a multi-color tiny print from Lily Bee "This & That - Linens", a large orange print from Lily Bee "Lovely - Charm", a pale gray circle print from Lily Bee "Memorandum - Whiteboard",  a blue tone-on-tone from WeRMemorykeepers "Grandma's Kitchen - Rich Ribbon", a yellow and gray print from October Afternoon "Seaside - Castle", a text print from My Mind's Eye "Stella & Rose - Mabel Love Letters" and a solid pale yellow (source unknown).

Now it's time for the embellishments: 


Using the case file's evidence and testimony notes, I added some mist in gold, bronze and clay, two leaf punches and a heart punch, metal frames and clips in a variety of shapes, some heart and flower die-cuts using music paper, gray and white twine to string around a page, some text rub-ons, word/phrase stickers and two pads for hand-written journaling, and wood veneer sequins and an assortment of enamel dots to scatter around layouts. I also included some stamps, wood veneer script words, chipboard die-cuts and a selection of little tabs, labels and circle embellishments.

I enjoyed the twist this month - it was an interesting challenge to not have an actual physical kit to look at for inspiration. I hope you give it a try and link me to what you've put together for this month. Don't forget to add your kit to the monthly link-up here too!

For more inspiration, head over to Stephanie's blog to see what she put together this month. Here's the complete list of blogs for this month's hop - you won't want to miss any stops:


14 comments :

  1. Very pretty kit - those old Lily Bee items make me smile, I could probably match them. And although you discarded it, I'd love the try scrapping with that first set of papers - so well coordinated too. Welcome again to the team, scrap on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like we took a similar approach to building our kits, but came up with different colours and embellishments. Yours has a more 'vintage' vibe, I think - it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your kit.So glad you did the 2nd one!
    You've reminded me about punches. I always forget those.
    Your embellishments look super.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree love the kit and so glad you did the 2nd one it really turned out so pretty Love the name of your kit too :) Have lots of fun playing with the kit this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done for recognising that the first kit was going down the wrong road (for you) and starting again. I love the 2nd try - my kind of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I think that you nailed it on your final result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cozy feel you have created. It was definitely worth the second try to end up with a kit you are going to love and use. Sometimes that even means straying a bit away from the inspiration...and that's ok. Can't tell you enough how happy I am that you are here. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If at first you don't succeed........the second try is a hit! You paper selection cheers out for your favourite season. Good selections in the embellies; I am starting to get an idea of where my kit will go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your final kit. The colors and patterns are too yummy and you have such a lovely mix of embellishment. You will have so much fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing kit--you have such beautiful colors and great embellishments to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thx for sharing your process - I always find that the most interesting part of the reveals. That plaid paper was perfection for a do-over starting point! Can't wait to get a closer look on my laptop vs phone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooohh what a great kit - love that you included some punches! I have so many punches in my stash and I don't use them nearly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy you are on board with us Susan - you are such an inspiration :-)

    And your first kit is just a stunner - can I buy it?!? Really lovely colours (love that you stopped and started again - I sometimes do that too) and the whole kit is perfect for the inspiration. Love all that older stuff in there and how (seeing as though I've worked back through your posts) you have used them in such an up to date way. No one could look at your pages and date them back to the days of MM or Chatterbox (loved both of them.) Thanks for the reminder to include punches in my kit - I sometimes remember stamps or ink but never punches...

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs