Forgery on the Fourth

This month's CKC inspiration kit was a little tricky because it doesn't have any physical items to forge. I did find a few possibilities in the evidence list:
I decided to try my hand at forging something metallic for a layout. I recently experimented with modeling paste and stencils and thought I could use these same supplies to make a metallic-looking background for my page.

I gathered a stencil (I'm not sure of the manufacturer - this was something I received in a prize package and there's no label on it), some modeling paste, Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Bronzer, an acrylic stamp block and a palette knife. I spritzed some of the mist into the bottle cap and then dripped it onto a blob of modeling paste that I'd placed on the acrylic block. I used the knife to mix them together and added a little more mist until I was happy with the color.
I used washi tape to adhere the stencil to a piece of white cardstock and then smeared the mixture onto the stencil and smoothed it out into a thin layer using the palette knife. I didn't cover the entire stencil with paste - I wanted the edges to be a little uneven. I carefully peeled off the stencil and let the cardstock dry.
Here's a peek at the result - it's hard to capture in a photo but the modeling paste does have a bit of a shimmery, metallic cast to it. Now, on to the layout...
I trimmed a small strip off each edge of the cardstock and mounted the piece onto an orange paper from my October Sky kit. I added rub-ons at the top and bottom, and placed the photo toward the top 2/3rds of the stencil using some dimensional tape to give it a little lift. In keeping with the repetition of the rub-ons, I typed my title (which is also my journaling) in three repeating lines, and printed it on both white cardstock and then on the vellum in my kit. I cut the journaling into rectangular shapes, stapled the vellum strip onto the cardstock strip and added it under the photo.
While I like playing with the modeling paste and stencil and am pleased with the look it gives the page, I'm not thrilled with the way the medium distorts my paper. I'm going to place some heavy books on the layout and hope that it flattens it more. Using a heavier weight cardstock might also help prevent some of the warping - I'll keep experimenting.

Did you find something to forge this month? Share your creation on the CKC link-up here.

4 comments :

  1. Oh, wow - I love how the paste looks in that color - genius way to introduce the metallic element! Coloring the paste opens up a whole new world of ideas for me to use it. Fun quote, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun layout and love that the paste takes color like that :) Will have to give that a try this month and see what happens :) Thank you for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute idea! I love how the background turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the stencilled effect on the paper but the warping puts me off too. i've heard that using watercolour paper works well as it absorbs the moisture well.

    I didnt forge anything this month :-( but I might have a little something next month!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs