A Little Catching Up - Felicity Jane December Kit, Part 1

I didn't get much of a chance last month to work with my Felicity Jane December kit ("Cozy") - I spent most of my scrapping time working on my December Daily mini-album while my Cozy kit just sat in its box. But now that my December Daily is finished, my Christmas decorations have been put away and I had some free time on a cold winter weekend, it was time to dig into that kit.

The kit itself isn't overtly Christmas-y; aside from the patterned paper with scripted holiday-related words and some of the embellishments, most of the items could be used for scrapbooking non-Christmas topics. This was a relief for me - I'm a little tired of working with Christmas photos and stories and wasn't planning to scrap any more of those. Or so I thought - you know what they say about best laid plans...
Felicity Jane "Cozy" Kit
My first page features pictures from Thanksgiving. We've gotten into the habit of taking family selfies and we usually have lots of less successful attempts before we finally get a photo we all agree upon. As soon as I saw these outtakes, I knew I'd be putting them on a layout.
No journaling necessary here - the photos and title are all I need. For the design, I combined some of the branding strips with narrow strips cut from a couple of the patterned papers. I arranged the outtakes in a column to mimic a photo strip and mounted them on a piece of white cardstock. I added a piece of gold dot vellum behind the photos for a little sparkly fun.
I placed my embellishment clusters at the top left and bottom right to give my page a diagonal design. Everything on the layout is from the kit contents, except for the white cardstock matting my photos and the white crochet thread on the tags.

Much to my surprise, my remaining kit layouts are all Christmas themed (remember those best laid plans?).
 
Last year, I took lots of photos of the Christmas decor around our house, intending to make a layout about the details of the holiday. I printed the photos and then promptly forgot about them. When I saw the "December" cut-apart card, I remembered the photos and decided to finally get that scrapbook page made.
I started with my own white cardstock, arranged all my small square photos into a large grid and added some thin red polka dot washi top to the borders of the grid. I placed strips of the script and diagonal red stripe paper at the bottom and top of the page, and then added the "December" card that I trimmed into a banner shape. I sewed seqins into a small circular shaker pocket and added a little red bow at the top. Again, I didn't really need much journaling on the page - I really just wanted to showcase those little photos.
I made three more layouts from the kit - I'll share those in my next post.

3 comments :

  1. As ALWAYS I am applauding & smiling! Had to laugh at the outtake photos & I always love how artfully you use those branding strips. The December Details page is something I wanted to do this year but never took the photos. I'm certain I'll be doing a carbon scraplift of this in future, esp as I am a FJ subscriber, hehe. The card cut into a banner piece w/the shaker detail??? Oh. My. Be sure to enter it over at Whimsical Musings #185 - Lisa is having a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this an absolutely stunning kit? I love it's flexibility and you've shown it off to it's fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a December detail page - I take hundreds of such shots and really ought to get them used up somehow. And that shaker circle?!?! Adorable! Perfect for WM#185 btw! Such a lovely kit and great pages!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs