Out of the Package & Onto the Page

You may have heard the saying "less is more" but in scrapbooking, sometimes more is just perfect! The layout I'm sharing today uses not one, not two, but three entire packages of embellishments from my January CKC kit "A Little Bit of Lovely".

I included this Freckled Fawn Woodland embellishment kit when I was putting my kit together:
Freckled Fawn Woodland Kit  
My favorite part of the kit is those felt leaves stickers and I was determined to get them on a layout this month. As I looked at them, I got the idea to use them to make a wreath on my page. Since I was planning to make a 12x12 layout, I knew there wouldn't be enough leaves to make the wreath and I would need to supplement them with something else. I then remembered the sheet of black & white doodled flower stickers (also from Freckled Fawn) that I added to my kit and thought they would be perfect: they were floral and would match well in theme with the leaves, and since they were black & white, they wouldn't clash with all that color either.

I arranged the leaves in a circle, leaving a little open space at the left to add my photo. Next, I adhered the flower stickers (with pop dots) and then started to fill in the gaps with some of the enamel dots from that same Woodland Kit. I added the remaining enamel dots to the centers of the flowers and then put my photo, which is also lifted on pop dots, into place.

At this point, I started thinking about my journaling. I try to have some sort of story on almost every page; while I like to occasionally make pages that are just for creativity's sake, I really like to record a memory as often as I can. I got a burst of inspiration looking at the white script word stickers from the Woodland Kit. The sheet included the word "snug" and I started thinking about using "snuggle" as my title. I was able to cut and paste the missing letters from some of the other words on the sticker sheet - fortunately, those foam letters are very easy to manipulate. I placed the title on the photo, along with one of the little hearts from the sheet.

The photo was taken the day we brought our youngest daughter home from the hospital and our oldest daughter wanted to hold her. My journaling reads:
"When I photographed this moment over 21 years ago, I wasn't thinking too far into the future. I couldn't have imagined back then how close you two would be, the secrets you'd share, the fun you'd have together, or the lifelong bond that began with this one little snuggle."
Although the completed layout includes the entire sheets of the leaves, the flowers and the enamel dots, it still has a nice, airy feel because those were the only embellishments on the page and I left lots of white space around my design.

I think I might make "out of the package & onto the page" a regular feature of both my scrapbooking and my blog. I hope I've inspired you to give it a try!

10 comments :

  1. I really like that "out of the package onto the page" idea and can't wait to try it! Love your layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - please let me know if you give it a try - I'd love to see your take on it!

      Delete
  2. FAB idea! If you decide to take this on it would make a terrific CKC monthly feature. This is so gorgeous! Nice job with your alpha saves, btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little blog series is definitely in the works...stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful layout! And I love the journaling. Found your blog through the Scrap Gals FB page and am so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Adrienne - I'm glad you're here!

      Delete
  4. This is simply beautiful - lots of details and yet lots of white space that makes it easy on the eye. Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Both the page and the blog series concept! I'm on board to try it sometime! What a simply super page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love love love! WIsh I had had those! GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely beautiful. It has me really looking forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs