The Great Reorganization Project of 2016

We've started a fun new series over on the Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog, "Stylish Scrapbook Storage in a Snap". It features pretty and practical storage solutions for scrapbookers, with snapshots from the creative spaces of some of the Master Forgers. Check out the blog post to get some inspiration and see how you can join in, too!

This series has come at a great time for me, because I finally started a project I've been putting off for a long time: cleaning out and reorganizing my scrapbook supplies. I've been scrapbooking since 1996 and, as you can imagine, I've accumulated a lot of "stuff" over the years. My goals:
  • pare down my products
  • organize what remains in a way that makes it easy for me to find things and is a system that is sustainable 
I don't have a scraproom or studio; I use our dining room table to work on projects and I store supplies in a couple different locations around the house. Although I have a pretty good memory, it's sometimes hard to recall just what is stored where. 

My first objective is to reduce what I have. Once I finish that, I'll probably live with what I have left for a bit, while I try to come up with storage solutions that make sense for me.
Over the past few weeks, I have slowly sorted through paper and embellishments, using my away-at-college daughter's bedroom as my headquarters. I've been ruthless: I look at each item, and if I can't immediately envision using it on a project, it's gone. And by "gone", I mean out of my house - not into the garbage. I found a re-use store in my town that works with children's organizations, local groups, and senior centers, and I've already dropped off a few donations. The thought of my former supplies being used by someone who appreciates them makes me feel much better about passing them along. 

I've made quite a bit of progress already but there's still plenty of work to be done. Once I've finished the first part of this project, I'll be back with an update and a plan for part two of the Great Reorganization Project of 2016.

2 comments :

  1. I like your storage solutions. And you've reminded me that I need a solution for my roller date stamps. I want to make an index card for them so that I know what is on each. (Really wishing I had saved the packaging!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos - kudos on being ruthless! I have been less than successful with my purge, so far...

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs