CKC March Kit - Challenge #1

The March challenges are based on the challenges used by the newest Master Forgers when they tried out for the team last summer. Challenge #1 is brought to you by Clair: Base a project based on something spotted on Pinterest, but it can't be a craft project (no layouts, mini-albums or mixed media as inspiration).

I think I may have stretched the limits of this one just a bit. Technically I did use a "craft project" as my inspiration but since it wasn't a layout, mini-album or mixed media scrapbook project, I'm just going to say it's all good - how's that?

I used this cross-stitched piece on Pinterest as my inspiration:
Pinterest Link


The primary colors and the diagonal design of the squares really caught my eye.

Here is the page I made based on that cross-stitched piece:
I started by converting my photos into black & white and printing them in collage of squares. I placed the photo block in the center of the page and then arranged squares of patterned paper around them, trying to vary the sizes and colors. 
I used a transparency piece from Little Yellow Bicycle for my journaling - I picked the circle design to stand out from all the square shapes already on the page. 
I placed a few chipboard hearts around the page to reinforce my theme and break up those patterned blocks. 
I finished off the page by adding a couple pieces of the black alpha washi tape I included in my "So Rad" kit. I wanted a little more black to go with the title and journaling piece.

And now for a little confession - I wasn't terribly happy with my "So Rad" kit at first. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it but I just wasn't excited to work with it. Now that I've made my first layout though, my thoughts have completely changed. I really like the crisp look of the colors, which are a nice change from the pastels I'd been using for my kits recently. I definitely think I'll get a lot of use out of this kit after all.

So, how about you? Are you ready to tackle this challenge with your kit? You can take a look at the CKC blog to get an idea of how some of the other Master Forgers interpreted this challenge. Please link your project up here too - we'd love to see what you've made!


 
 

8 comments :

  1. I'll allow ;) I love the inspiration that you took and how it became a wonderful layout - all of the little extra details and embellishments softened the grid effect a little and it's perfection!

    Really happy to hear that starting on your projects has inspired you to use your (once unloved) kit as well x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfully creative take on your "Pinspiration" ;-)
    I agree with those added pops of black.
    I can relate to having to learn to love your kit.
    I enjoy the kitting process so much, but sometimes it takes me a little while to warm up to my creation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the layout--your design allows for lots of objects but the page is still clean and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a stunning piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you've really nailed the essence of your inspiration piece. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful! The black & white photos are ideal for this layout.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a super quote and a great idea for a page. it's certainly the little things that make the difference. a great page and i'd never know you had been a little tentative about your kit in the first place. this is just a super page

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this page - and how clever to have used that piece as inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs