It's time to finally do something with all those pins! I'm going to be getting those ideas off my boards and onto my pages. I've already shown some of them here and here and here, and I have another one to share with you today.
What I pinned:
What I made:
I decided to make a frame from the punched shapes instead of making the large block in the inspiration piece. I'd recently re-printed this photo of my daughters as toddlers and thought it would be a great candidate to pair with a little EK Success heart punch I have. The page would also do double-duty as it perfectly fit Prompt #81 (inspired by paper punches) on the Whimsical Musings blog.
I first lightly traced around the border of my photo.
The pencil lines would be hidden under the hearts on my final layout - I just needed something to guide me in making my frame the correct size for my photo.
Next, it was time to punch hearts out of some of the papers in my April CKC kit. I do like this kit as a whole but the colors and design aren't my usual style. I've found that using small pieces of the papers helps me to work with the kit in a way that feels more "me".
I concentrated on using the black & white and pink/red colors in the kit and mixed patterns with solid colors. I also punched some hearts from the gold dot vellum but ended up not using any of them in the frame.
Then I started to add the hearts to the white cardstock, using a liquid adhesive in a bottle with a fine tip.
I just randomly grabbed hearts from the various piles and worked to fill in most of the empty spots until I was pleased with the shape. I'd periodically place my photo over the frame just to make sure I was getting the look I wanted. I didn't bother filling in the center since that would be covered by the picture.
Here's the finished frame:
Between punching the shapes and making the frame, this probably took me about 30 minutes to complete. This is a great activity to do while listening to a podcast or watching the latest episode of your favorite show.
After I added the photo, I placed the title above and below the frame using two different size/style alphas.
The layout just seemed to be lacking a little something to me at this point but I didn't want to add any more color to the page. I decided to trim the edges of the page and stitch the entire layout to another piece of white cardstock. The stitching and extra matting added just what I was looking for:
So there it is - one pin off my pinboard and onto my page. This was a fun page to put together and I'm already perusing my inspiration board to see which pin I'll tackle next.