From Pinterest to Page: "What I See" Layout

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Pinterest. I love all the inspiration to be found there but I hate that sometimes I can get too caught up pinning inspiration but not actually doing anything with it. I have not one but two boards holding pins that I want to somehow translate into scrapbook layouts. There are color schemes, quotes, pages to scraplift, design ideas from all sorts of non-scrapbooking sources, sketches...you get the idea. (I'd share these boards with you but I've made them secret so that I can include ideas for upcoming Counterfeit Kit Challenge blog assignments.)

It's time to finally do something with all those pins! I'm going to be getting those ideas off my boards and onto my pages. I've already shown some of them here and here and here, and I have another one to share with you today. 

What I pinned:
ruffledblog.com
Why I pinned it: I liked the idea of all the little leaves combining to make a big statement. I thought I could easily replicate this look using a punch. I also liked the woodgrain background and the ombre look to the leaf design.

What I made:
How I got from pin to page:
I decided to make a frame from the punched shapes instead of making the large block in the inspiration piece. I'd recently re-printed this photo of my daughters as toddlers and thought it would be a great candidate to pair with a little EK Success heart punch I have. The page would also do double-duty as it perfectly fit Prompt #81 (inspired by paper punches) on the Whimsical Musings blog.

I first lightly traced around the border of my photo.
The pencil lines would be hidden under the hearts on my final layout - I just needed something to guide me in making my frame the correct size for my photo.

Next, it was time to punch hearts out of some of the papers in my April CKC kit. I do like this kit as a whole but the colors and design aren't my usual style. I've found that using small pieces of the papers helps me to work with the kit in a way that feels more "me".
I concentrated on using the black & white and pink/red colors in the kit and mixed patterns with solid colors. I also punched some hearts from the gold dot vellum but ended up not using any of them in the frame.

Then I started to add the hearts to the white cardstock, using a liquid adhesive in a bottle with a fine tip.
I just randomly grabbed hearts from the various piles and worked to fill in most of the empty spots until I was pleased with the shape. I'd periodically place my photo over the frame just to make sure I was getting the look I wanted. I didn't bother filling in the center since that would be covered by the picture.

Here's the finished frame:
Between punching the shapes and making the frame, this probably took me about 30 minutes to complete. This is a great activity to do while listening to a podcast or watching the latest episode of your favorite show. 

After I added the photo, I placed the title above and below the frame using two different size/style alphas. 

I hand-wrote a quote from a book under the lower part of the title and then added my journaling under that. I put two of the gold dot vellum hearts side by side at the lower right of my journaling block - I wanted to get a little gold at the bottom of the page and the pair nicely symbolizes the theme of my page and the two girls in the photo as well.

The layout just seemed to be lacking a little something to me at this point but I didn't want to add any more color to the page. I decided to trim the edges of the page and stitch the entire layout to another piece of white cardstock. The stitching and extra matting added just what I was looking for:
So there it is - one pin off my pinboard and onto my page. This was a fun page to put together and I'm already perusing my inspiration board to see which pin I'll tackle next.

2 comments :

  1. How stunning, Susan! And kudos on "unpinning" one, lol! When you said that the frame took you only 30 minutes I was shocked and encouraged that it was something that I might actually accomplish myself.
    Will have to go over to Flickr to read your journaling.
    I agree with you about your solution to "finish off" the page with the thin white background & stitching. Someone (I think it was either Pam or Lisa) said that there should always be some sort of frame/border for a page, even if it's simply a doodled line or that thin background as you have done. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing, I love the texture it brings!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs