Forgeries on the Fourth

The fourth of the month means that it's time to share how I "forged" a couple of items I included in my May Counterfeit Kit. 
There were lots of candidates in our inspiration kit this month (Quirky Kit Main, Quirky Kit Lite and Quirky Kit Embellishment) but I settled on the color-blocked wood veneer and the flair found in the main and embellishment kits.

I'd like to note here that I didn't come up with these techniques all on my own; there are several how-to videos and tutorials out there to help you replicate these embellishments. For additional information on the flair, you can watch Adele Toomey's (aka Inkie Quill) youtube video here. Nancy Damiano shows you her technique for painting wood veneer in this video.

Back to my forgeries...let's start with the flair. The one supply you might not have on hand for this are these self-adhesive epoxy dots. I got these from Amazon and they were pretty inexpensive - under $5 for 50 dots. They were available in several sizes; I ordered the 1-inch size because I had a 1-inch circle punch to match.
To make the flair you'll also need a circle punch in the same diameter as your epoxy dots, and some paper scraps. I looked through my scrap box and chose a few pieces that matched my kit.
Next, punch some circles from the scraps:
I tried to punch some of the icons and words from my papers as well as just the general designs. Once you're done punching circles, you just need to top them with the epoxy dots. I found it easiest to hold a dot in one hand and a circle in the other and just move them together until they met and adhered.
Here's a look at the result:
The two-tone flair in the top row is actually two strips of washi on top of cardstock and the teal flair in the bottom row is vellum. (A little tip for punching vellum - sandwich it between two thin pieces of scrap paper before punching.) I like that I can customize the flair to meet my needs and that the epoxy dots have a thinner profile than most flair so they won't add too much bulk to my page.

For my second forgery, I grabbed a few pieces of wood veneer, acrylic paint, paintbrushes and some washi tape.
I used the washi to mask off a line on my veneer and painted them first with white paint.
Once that dried, I added colors.
I put two coats of color on for even coverage. I did have a little bleed-through on a couple but I think it was because I hadn't completely pressed the washi down on the veneer. 

Once the paint dried, I peeled off the washi and here is the result:
Those gold feathers are my favorite and will definitely be making an appearance on some pages this month.

Both of these forgeries were quick and easy and I was very happy with the results. I hope you'll give them a try - leave me a comment if you do. Don't forget to check out the other forgeries on the blog this month too. You can read all about them here.

4 comments :

  1. Super cute forgeries, fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I can't wait to try them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used the first idea before but had forgotten about it. The washi tape covering wood is inspirational. Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. snap on the veneers! but I have to say that your gold version are just so gorgeous I don't know why I didn't try that - probably because I don't have gold paint. I'll have to get some. I love the idea of the less dimensional flair using the epoxy and in the larger size, I think I'd really be able to use them on my pages. I might have to try and track some down...

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs