Layouts Lately

I have a confession to make - I have a BIG sweet tooth. My flavor of choice is chocolate but honestly, I usually don't turn down a sweet dessert or snack. I recently purchased a cute set of sweet treat mini-flair from the Feed Your Craft Etsy shop and couldn't resist pairing them with some photos of my favorite indulgences:
I mixed in some food-themed cutouts from Elles Studio, and a few leftover bits & pieces from my May CKC kit. The donut and cookie flair were great substitutes for the two letter "o's" in my title.
And now my little secret has been recorded for posterity!

These next pages were inspired by lessons in the two online scrapbooking classes I'm taking this summer. I talked a little about the Layering Like a Boss class in this post, and here is another layout I made that was influenced by the class:
Layering paper strips has been one of my "go to" designs for quite a while and I pulled scraps and strips of blue and teal papers from my scrap box to use on this page. 
I've been drawn to bicycles lately - I took this photo on our recent vacation and thought it was perfect to accompany a little journaling on the subject.
I also made this layout after a few class lessons. I had just purchased a jar of 12 different washi tapes on clearance at Michael's and decided to use them all at once on a page.
 I "borrowed" the chipboard clouds from my July CKC kit and my journaling is written on the pink tag slipped under the photo and layers.

These final two pages were inspired by lessons in the "Make an Impact" Class from Jen Schow and Irit Landgraf. 
My favorite layouts are those that show a connection over time - I had several photos of my daughters at the ocean's edge which were taken over a few years. I converted them all to black and white to help them stand out from all the color on the page. I pulled all the embellishments from the color boxes I use to store some of my kit leftovers. 

This last page is a bit outside of my comfort zone in that it uses mixed media. I love the look of mists and inks and modeling paste on pages but I have a hard time actually working with them. 
I really struggled to figure out how to get that ombre pink modeling paste piece on the page. I'd used a 6"x6" stencil to make it and it just looked too "blocky" to me as I pushed it around and around the page. In a moment of desperation, I tore it in half and then it all fell into place. Turning the piece into a wide paper strip put me in my comfort zone and gave me a spot to anchor the photo and layers as well.
I'm very pleased with the results. I will be trying some mixed media techniques again - I think I just need to find a way to make them work with my style so that the page looks like "me" in the end.
Thanks for stopping by today and whether your summer includes sweet treats, flowers, bicycles or the ocean, I hope you're enjoying it!

3 comments :

  1. Oh, Susan!!! Simply knocked out by these STUNNING pages. Speechless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a distinctive style Susan and these are all gorgeous! I think I asked you about the flair before and now you have linked where you got them from I need to bookmark that for later use - you just know that I love flair!!! Simply wonderful pages

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is just a master's class in layering. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs