CKC August Challenge #1

It's time for our first challenge of the month. Remember how I meandered away from the neutrals in our inspiration kit? Well, I also wandered a bit from the challenge. At least I'm consistent, right?! Here are the details of the challenge posed by our fearless leader Lisa...

Challenge #1 - today is "Sandcastle Day" so it's time to be a little nostalgic. Be inspired by that most enjoyable childhood activity and create a project featuring sandcastles.

Hmmm....my initial thought was to feature a sandcastle photo on a page but, despite several beach vacations, I have no such photos. I know our daughters used to make little castles with their pails and shovels but back in those days, I never brought a camera to the beach.  

So I turned to Pinterest and searched "sandcastle" in the hope that something would spark an idea. This photo made me think that perhaps I could use the triangle turret shapes as a design element:
Pinterest Link
I wasn't too sure about that idea though so I continued scrolling through the results of my Pinterest search until I found this:
Pinterest Link

I briefly considering mimicking that spiral design with rectangular pieces of patterned paper but wasn't sure that I could actually execute this idea successfully. Back to the Pinterest results again and after quite a bit of scrolling, I found this:
Pinterest Link






Now that was more like it! I could definitely replicate that book cover's design on a scrapbook page. I'm not sure that technically I'm satisfying the conditions of the challenge, but considering that I did find this option while searching for sandcastles, I'm hoping that Lisa will forgive me! And her challenge did mention being a little nostalgic and the barn photo on my layout can qualify as a bit retro so maybe that would help my case too! Here is my page:


Inspired by the color of the stormy skies on the book cover, I selected the blue/gray piece of cardstock from my kit. Although the book cover is a rectangle, I decided to keep my page a 12x12 square. I used the branding strip (cut into a banner shape), a ticket-shaped label and a chipboard circle with a heart in place of the penguin on the top right of the book. My photo is a square but I layered a few patterned papers and vellum under it to give it the rectangular shape of the illustration on the book. I substituted a chipboard scallop banner for the book cover's blue/green marbled stripe and placed my title above and below the banner, taking the place of the author's name and book title. I kept my journaling in the same spot as the book's preview words.

My journaling:
This summer I am trying to say "yes" more often. On the way to pick berries at Lyman Orchards, I noticed this pretty barn with a tangle of blooming wildflowers in front. At the orchard, I considered stopping at that barn on the way home to take a photo or two. I started to talk myself out of it: the barn was right by the side of a somewhat busy road - what if someone sees me? So I drove past, but immediately remembered my "say yes" motto and I turned around, parked the car in a nearby lot and walked over to take the photos. I'm happy I did - this photo will always make me smile and remember my "say yes" moment.

(I should add that I returned to that same orchard a couple weeks later and because of road construction, those wildflowers have all been bulldozed over and there are some very unattractive construction vehicles parked right next to that barn- now I'm even more happy that I photographed them that day!)

Now it's your turn - whether you interpret this challenge literally or take a much looser approach (like me), please link your project here. We love it when you share your creations with us!

7 comments :

  1. Love your journaling and the way you take the prompt, so inspiring! Beautiful layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you get extra "bonus points" for sticking with the challenge and finding a way to make it work for you. What a lovely layout! YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the serendipity of your quest to satisfy the challenge & the validation of giving in to your impulse to take this photo. I can only imagine your shock & awe at the change in scene not long after! Always fun to hear about the choices you made, as in the stormy background color nodding to the challenge inspiration. I think a "Yes" journal would be a fun memory keeping project :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty page and such a wonderful story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to go off piste - that's being creative. Imagine how boring th world would be if we all did as we were told! Lovely LO and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely fits the challenge!!!! And in fact, I love it all the more because of the thought process that went into it! Great job on finding something to work for you. The barn photo is just gorgeous and how wonderful that you found the "courage" to stop and take a few shots. I find myself talking myself out of just this kind of thing and yet, when I stop, I'm always delighted with the result!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great way to approach the challenge :) Lots of research turned out a fantastic looking layout :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs