CKC August Layouts

I included two challenging papers in my August CKC kit
LINK


LINK
I really liked the house and door papers when I bought them but they've been sitting in my supplies for a while now because I wasn't sure how to work with them. I added them to my kit with the hope that having them right out in front of me would inspire me to use them. 

The house paper turned out to be pretty easy to use. I added a small piece of it under my photo in my challenge layout here. I was flipping through a small stack of photos I've had in my "to scrap" pile and found a perfect match for the large scrap I had left. I've been wanting to tell the story about finally getting "real" dining room furniture and so here is the layout I made:
I chose one of the pale yellow cardstock sheets I included in my kit and then fussy-cut two rows of houses and used them as a border along the bottom edge of the page. The little woodgrain strip is cut from the "b" side of the house paper.
I arranged my photo, journaling and title in a very loose grid and stamped the "x" border around the rest of the page to frame the layout. I found that cute house mini-flair in a little bowl of items I've been meaning to put away - I love when procrastination (or maybe laziness?) pays off! I purchased it from the Feed Your Craft shop on Etsy and it nicely filled in the empty label on my journaling spot.

Now for that door paper...I initially thought that I would either use watercolor paints or small pieces of paper to fill in some of the door shapes. I really didn't want to go through the work of paper-piecing (see the laziness comment in the previous paragraph!) and I'm not comfortable with my watercolor skills and also didn't want to deal with the warping effect that technique has on paper. After letting the paper sit out on my table for a couple days, I found my inspiration in that same stack of "to scrap" photos. I was looking at a photo of my daughter from her college graduation in May and suddenly got an idea about all the doors that are now open to her as she begins her post-college life. Here's how I translated that idea to my page:
I cut about two-thirds of the door paper, attached it to a piece of white cardstock and covered the seam between the two with a narrow strip of black and floral paper. I arranged the photo and several chipboard and sticker embellishments in a horizontal band on that seam and wrote my journaling, in the form of a letter, under the photo. It's hard to see in the photo but I ran a gold Sharpie along the edge of the paper, the photo and the thin white mat under it.
I'm pleased that I was able to find a way to use these two papers.  How about you - do you have any papers that you're finding challenging to use?

5 comments :

  1. Great layouts...love the way you used your "difficult " papers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally gorgeous pages, with well-utilized dramatic (translate difficult!) papers superbly supporting your story. I am always amazed at how a photo combined with a product can inspire an amazing layout! Especially love the perfect little flair just biding it's time in the little dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear about your process... I think you made a wonderful use of these challenging papers! I love the way you cut the top of the houses row to add on your layout, great result, and I am thrilled about your idea of opening doors about your daughter's school! That's just brilliant, and the layout is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you've mastered both those "difficult" papers. Do you do consulting for when I come across some paper I've bought that bumfuzzles me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, fussy cutting was the way to go there! I like your inked x's along the side, too. The fence photo with the doors was also a genius move. You are in such a groove!!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs