December Daily - Looking for the Magic

 
I've been thinking a lot about my approach to this Christmas season.  As I mentioned in my last post, I felt excitement about it since October (very early for me) but when I thought about all the activities associated with this time of year, the excitement just dwindled away.  That's not what I want for December - I want to savor the season.

Every year I have what I call a "Christmas Moment".  It's a moment when I'm just overcome with happiness and peace, when I really feel the true spirit and meaning of Christmas.  It usually comes on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and it takes me completely by surprise.  So in my effort to delight in and appreciate the holiday this year, I started thinking that perhaps I should actively seek those magical "Christmas Moments" every day.

The December Daily entry that I'm sharing today marks my resolve to look for the magic.  I want to have some kind of record of my efforts, so I'll be using one of the packaging envelopes from the Ali Edwards' Story Kits.  I'd originally included it in my album thinking that it would be a great place to hold wishlists, receipts, or to-do lists but instead I'm going to use it for my magical moments.  (I have a few extra envelopes that I can always add to hold those other pieces of ephemera if I wish anyway.)

I will be using the envelope to collect photos or notes to commemorate the magic moments.  While I hope to be able to experience one every day, I'm not going to stress if I don't.  After all, that's really not the purpose of the whole exercise.  And if I'm lucky enough to encounter more than one on a particular day, I'll include them both.  I'm really trying to take a relaxed, go-with-the-flow approach to this.  I'm expecting it to take a little work on my part but I hope that over the next several weeks I'll learn to see magic in many places that will remind me of the meaning behind the celebration of Christmas.  I'm sure there will be some surprise moments but I also think I'll be consciously setting aside some quiet time to appreciate the season.

After that rather long-winded explanation, here's a look at the accompanying entry:



It's a multiple-page spread starting with a 5x7 bokeh photo of our tree and its reflection in the window.  I added some word art  from Ali's "Magic" digital story kit using the Letterglow app on my phone.  I adhered the photo to a piece of black and white wood grain patterned paper and then stitched the photo edges with gold metallic thread.  I slipped it into the page protector and placed a vellum heart sticker on the outside.


For the middle of the spread, I trimmed a 4x6 pocket from a leftover page protector and cut a 4x6 piece of white cardstock to hold my journaling.  I embellished the bottom with a small strip of patterned paper and a gold chipboard star.


The reverse side is a pearlized scrap of white cardstock that I embossed with snowflakes.  I added the black rubber circle magic from Ali's main kit.


The embellished envelope completes the spread on the right side.


Here's how everything looks in my album:


As you can see, the envelope is already holding a photo from my December 1st magic moment:


I can't wait until that envelope is filled with little reminders of the magic!

7 comments :

  1. Lovely! Thank you for reminding me to be open to those little moments of magic -- like the twinkle of lights, or the scent of pine, or the jingle of bells. It really happens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything about this! I've got so many of those plastic envelopes to use...I will be using that idea in my December daily album at some point! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful page, adore everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your approach and am looking for magic this year too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about a "Christmas moment". I get one almost every year too; though a couple stand out especially, one when the children were little and one a couple of years ago. Magic, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your approach. It's full of sentiment

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to come on over and savour every single detail of your process and this gorgeous album.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs