January Pocket Scrapbooking Recap

Well it's been just about a month since I decided to work on last year's Project Life pages and after a slow start, I'm happy to say that I've completed January and am mid-way through February.

I began with an introduction page using the mini-kit I put together.  This part was pretty easy because I wasn't yet dealing with any photos.



I'm still trying to find a good system to edit, size and print the photos I want to use, which has turned out to be the most difficult part of this whole process for me.  I posted about this on Instagram and discovered that many people have this same issue.  I also received a number of very helpful tips that I'll be passing along here as soon as I refine my system.


I've also discovered that there's a definitely rhythm to this process.  It took me some time to get back in the groove of working with pockets on a 12x12 canvas, figuring out a cohesive color scheme for the spread and deciding how to best fill each pocket.


Overall though I'm very happy to be working with this form of memory-keeping again.  It gives me a way to record snippets of life, those little details that I know I'll want to recall but might not be worthy of a full scrapbook layout on their own.


I should mention again that these photos and memories are from 2016.  I'm considering trying to work on the current year at the same time.  I think it would be easier to make the pages while the memories are fresh.  Again, I'm still contemplating the best way to handle thisOne option is to leave an album and pocket pages open on my table and take a few minutes once a week to print photos and add memorabilia and journaling.  Also, I'm not doing true weekly spreads; a 12x12 page might cover just a weekend or two weeks depending on what's going on in our lives.  See - it's still a work in progress for me.


So if you do Project Life or a form of pocket scrapbooking, I'd like to hear about your process.  If you have any suggestions or tips, please share them with me in the comments below - I'm definitely interested in finding out how others make this form of memory keeping work best for them.  Thanks for stopping by!

3 comments :

  1. I'm using 6x8 Snap albums for my "PL" and try to print photos and fill a few pockets every weekend when I'm not working. Some months are fuller than others which is ok with me. Not a lot happening in my life right now so I try to add everyday stuff when I remember to take photos. Love seeing your pages--thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love seeing your PL process and I think it's cool the way you treat each pocket as a mini-canvas, so to speak. Very creative. Even after all the years I've been memory keeping, I'm still "figuring it all out" and tweaking processes and evolving. It's a very different season of life for me, so the PL app has been my go-to system for several years and printing out 12 X 12 layouts. But even that is going to change for me this year. I have roughly 50 12 X 12 albums of memories/scrapbook layouts/photos and I'm beginning to feel enough is enough. I need to "downsize" as space is an issue & my family just doesn't come into my craft room to look through the albums like they used to when they were home. And we don't do enough (ha!) on a weekly or even monthly basis anymore because everyone is going in separate ways. So I thought I might make "best of 2017" layouts in the PL App at the end of the year and print it in a photo book to keep on my coffee table. When the kids are home for short stops, they could easily pick up a photo book that's been strategically left out in the family den. I'm having fun just dabbling in traveler's notebooks and smaller sized albums for "about me" and "list making" type projects. Here's to creativity and evolution in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You bring the same chic style to pocket scrapbooking as you do to every other kind! It's not something I've tried for every day memory keeping but I can definitely see the appeal when I look at pages like these

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs