Out of the Scrap Box / Part One



I'd like to talk about scraps today.  We all have them - those little pieces that remain every time we create a project.  For a number of years I saved almost every one, tossed them in a large box and pretty much left them there to languish, all but forgotten.

Last year, I did a major reorganization of my supplies and one of the first things I tackled was that scrap box.  It was a 12"x12" box that was close to 6" deep and it was completely full.  I was ruthless - I took out every piece (scrap or whole) and kept only those that I absolutely loved and knew I would use again.  By the time I was done, I'd culled that huge amount into a much more manageable pile.  My current scrap box is an iris container and it is only about 1/3 full.  I've carried through that manageability by applying the same "love it and will use it" standards and sometimes when I add the newest scraps, I'll weed out some of the old pieces that no longer meet those standards.


So now my scrap storage is under control but - gasp! - I haven't actually been doing anything with them!  A few weeks ago, as I once again moved that box of scraps out of the way to reach other supplies, I decided that it was time to "use 'em or lose 'em".  I challenged myself to just sit and sift through those pieces of papers and select a few to use on a page.  I've found that sometimes just the act of sorting and holding my supplies sparks my creativity and it worked this time too.  I made several pages; looking back, I wish I had taken photos of the scraps I chose so that you could see where I started but I'll try and do that next time.  Now, onto those pages...

This first page was inspired by a prompt on the Whimsical Musing blog to be inspired by genius.  I used a rather large scrap of a pretty blue paper with gold constellations that I'd punched circles from for a past project.  I trimmed the remaining piece down to 8.5x11 and put together this page:



The gold star vellum sheet was in the scrap box as well.

On my next page, I used an assortment of paper strips from the scrap box - some were branding strips and others were strips I cut from larger pieces.


I layered some additional pieces under the photo and used one more scrap to hold my journaling.


I found another scrap that was the remnant from a banner I'd made and after staring at it for a bit, I realized that it would make the perfect pocket for a photo.  Here's how it looks on the page I made:



I used a few scraps behind the photo and two more as photo corners at the top right of the layout.


My final page today came from my discovery of a thin vertical strip of a rainbow-striped paper and a couple of small punched circles.  I ended up punching more circles to coordinate with that rainbow paper and added everything to this page:


I used a black and white diagonal stripe scrap to mat my photo.


Before I adhered the scraps, I cut a fringed edged on the paper strip just to add that extra something to the design.  I absolutely love the end result!


I hope to make it a habit to make pages from my scrap box on a more regular basis.  Combing through the bits and pieces definitely inspires me in a different way than when I begin with full-size papers.  And I promise to take photos of the scraps before I get them on the page next time.

How about you? How do you store your scraps? Do you even save them?  And do you find that you use them?

2 comments :

  1. WOW!!! great ideas!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You are so talented. Truly inspirational and I love each and every one of these gorgeous layouts. I need you to come and teach me!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs