Scrappy Christmas in July


What better time to work on a Christmas project than during the hot and humid month of July, right?  Tracey Fox, known on Instagram as @scrappylikeafox, is spending the month working on Christmas projects and has asked others to join in the fun.  Her invitation was just the jump-start I needed to complete a project I've had on my list for a few years: a mini album to hold the stories of our Christmas ornaments.

A couple of years ago, I posted this photo and caption on my personal Instagram account:


It's not just a Christmas tree - it's a living scrapbook.  Handmade treasures, souvenirs from travels, gifts from family and friends to mark special occasions...each ornament holds a precious memory.

I decided then that I wanted to make an album to record the memories attached to each ornament.  I even took photos of the ornaments when we took down the tree, but unfortunately that was as far as I got.  I thought about the album again last Christmas but the holiday is so busy that there just wasn't time for me to get it done.  When I saw Tracey's Instagram posts I decided that I would finally tackle this project.

I'd done a big portion of the prep work: I had already printed the photos and taken notes about the ornaments.  I pulled out my box of Christmas supplies:



and stamps


and came up with a plan.  I chose a 6x8 album - I think the one I used was left over from an older Ali Edwards' Week in the Life kit.  To keep things simple, I came up with a formula for the pages:  white cardstock background, full 6x8 size (no divided pockets), a photo, the story with whatever details I could remember about the ornament, and simple embellishments.  By chance I had a stamp set from Elle's Studio out on my table and one of the phrases was perfect  - I'd stamp "let me tell you the story" on each page.


The prep work and that formula helped me put this album together in less than a week!

The rest of this post will be pretty photo heavy as I share the contents of the album.  I started with a cover page:


and an introduction (using that initial Instagram photo and caption):


Then it was just a matter of filling the pages with photos and stories...




There were pages with long stories and pages with just a sentence or two...




Some stories had lots of details while others just had whatever basic information I could remember.  There were times when I couldn't recall any specifics but I decided to just record what I remembered and not stress over the things I didn't know.




It was nice to relive the memories as I put the pages together.




I'm the only one who knew these stories but now they're recorded so that my daughters, and someday their families, will know them, too.


This little album ranks right up there as one of my favorites.  I plan to add more pages for the ornaments I forgot to photograph the first time and for the ones I've gotten since then.  I'm very grateful to Tracey for giving me the push I needed to finish this project!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs